The Sustainable Agriculture Education Association (SAEA) promotes and supports the development, application, research, and exchange of best teaching and learning practices in sustainable agriculture education and curricula through communication, training, development, and collaborative activities for teachers and learners. The Association is organized exclusively for education purposes within the meaning of Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code.
The goals of the Association are as follows:
- Promote and advocate the establishment of sustainable agriculture education programs.
- Promote the collaborative development and exchange of curricula, best educational and experiential learning practices, and research related to the teaching and learning of sustainable agriculture.
- Provide public forums for addressing issues in sustainable agriculture education teaching and learning.
- Serve as a vibrant network for individuals and organizations involved in sustainable agriculture education.
- Engage in activities to aid the professional development of sustainable agriculture educators and students.
- Serve as an advocate for sustainable agriculture in other contexts and in collaboration with other organizations relevant to sustainable agriculture education.
- Obtain public and private funds to collaboratively develop and exchange sustainable agriculture education and curricula at all educational levels and with the general public.
- Attract talented, bright individuals to teach and work in the field of sustainable agriculture.
- Contribute to the growth of sustainable agriculture in the U.S. and abroad (within grassroots and educational institutions, farms, businesses etc.).
The functions of the Association are as follows:
- Provide opportunities (workshops, symposia, conferences, short courses, etc.) to learn about and develop sustainable agriculture education programs.
- Maintain a bibliography and/or library of sustainable agriculture education curriculum materials.
- Publish a newsletter to share information about sustainable agricultural education information.
- Host national conferences to provide forums for professional development, networking, advocacy activities and publishing of proceedings.
- Publish a series, journal or other publication, independently or with other organizations, to publicize scholarly research on sustainable agriculture education.
- Advocate for resources to promote sustainable agriculture education.
- Communicate with high school and college students about the opportunities within sustainable agriculture education.
- Maintain an organizational web site for communication and exchange of sustainable agriculture education information.